Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Hey!

When I was asked to write a little about Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, I didn’t think twice. Since having both my children, I have become more aware and concerned for the dangers within my own house. We have many gas-powered functions in our house (in particular a gas fire) and our house is rented.

boiler-repair_2030036b

Recently CORGI Homeplan did a survey of 2000 homes (read the full article here: http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-your-home.org/coawarenessweek/ ) A few of the facts really shocked me:

49% of homes still do not have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Less than half of the UK service their boiler annually and 7% have never been serviced

Camping lights and stoves are also huge dangers, along with a BBQ in an enclosed area.

But why is this so bad?

“When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your bloodstream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.

Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include paralysis and brain damage.

GP Dr Helen Webberley comments: “I’m shocked at the number of patients who come into my surgery displaying symptoms, without realising the cause. Clearly, awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning and its prevalence is too low. Brits must be vigilant to tell-tale signs which include dizziness, headaches, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.” ” (Extracted from CORGI)

It is only since becoming a mother that I have really spent a lot of time thinking about safety within my own home. Home is meant to be your families safe haven, carbon monoxide poisoning is such a silent killer, it does not pick and choose its victims. I think it’s so important to remind people to check their boilers and have a detector. Smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms should not be something you should be without, hopefully you never need one, but is it worth the risk to not?

fire-angel-carbon-monoxide-alarm

We will be giving a Fire Angel Carbon Monoxide Alarm away on our FACEBOOK page Monday 23rd November.

Becky x

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Previous Post Next Post

Comments

  1. Reply

    I worry so much about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning! It’s quite scary when you look at all the facts about it. Thanks for sharing, you’re reminded me how much we need an alarm!! xx

  2. Reply

    Something I don’t think about enough at all, if ever! Yet something that could potentially put my family at risk… Thanks for reminding me! *runs to check* x

    • Kara
    • November 23, 2015
    Reply

    It is so good to see posts like this highlighting such a danger, I nearly died from CO2 poisoning years ago in a rented property, we always have CO2 monitors now xx

  3. Reply

    We actually have two monitors – which is completely unncessary but we’ve just ended up with an extra one somehow! At least I know we’re safe!

  4. Reply

    We have a Carbon Monoxide alarm which is part of our fire alarm, we also have a little test kit near our boiler too. I’m really surprised to read that around 49% of homes don’t have one, that’s quite worrying.

    Laura x

  5. Reply

    I, like you, have definitely become more safety conscious since having children and it astounds me to hear how so many people neglect to put in place simple measures that could ultimately protect and save lives. We make sure our boiler is serviced annually and also have a carbon monoxide alarm installed next to our wood log burner. It’s better to be safe than sorry, especially where young children are concerned, and I would never forgive myself if something ever happened to them. xxx

    • Jodie
    • November 23, 2015
    Reply

    It’s pretty scary to think that I’m not actually sure if we have one or not. We are in rented accommodation.

  6. Reply

    Thanks for this post – such a helpful reminder, it is so important!

  7. Reply

    Aargh, I so need to get one of these. We don’t have one and I know they’re really crucial. Thank you for the reminder.x

  8. Reply

    Great post, this is such a helpful reminder for people x

  9. Reply

    Thank you for the reminder I must go check we have a carbon monoxide alarm. We live in a rented property too and your right you can never be to safe when it comes to your family.

  10. Reply

    Oops I don’t have a monitor. Must sort that out!

  11. Reply

    The scariest thing is that it can kill without you even knowing anything is up, and yet a monitor is so simple and could save lives. We have them and I’m so glad we do x x

  12. We got one of these when I was pregnant with Wilf and I’m so glad we did, I’ve heard some terrible stories and it’s so good to just put your mind at ease! x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0 shares